A product catalog provides clarity to customers regarding the products and services offered by a particular business. When it is an eCommerce business which deals with its customers over an online platform, having an effective product catalog becomes more of a necessity rather than a privilege.
An online product catalog not only enhances the sales for an eCommerce business but also saves time and efforts of the customers. Customers can easily navigate through the website and locate their desired product. This fastens their purchase decision and compels them to revisit the website for further shopping needs.
A rightly done product catalog can analyze customer behavior and is capable of reaching wider audiences and new markets. Before starting to create a product catalog, the business must have clarity related to the purpose. For instance, whether the purpose of building a product catalog is for improving brand recognition or for enhancing sales?
Once the purpose is clear then the business must understand its target audience. Example, which age group and demographics will the business target, and so on. Thereafter comes some specific technical requirements, such as, finding the right Content Management System (CMS) or Product Information Management (PIM) tools. By finding the right tools one can create a product catalog easily and in less time. Finally, a product datasheet must be prepared which has all the details of the products, including the hierarchy and the attributes of the same. This datasheet helps the catalog developers to get a clear picture of your expectations.
As you carry out functions under each step, you tend to get more clarity about the expectations from the final product catalog. Here are some tips that you can use in order to create a relevant product catalog for your business.
- Your product catalog must be attractive, must have high resolution quality images or videos, and a smart layout. The catalog design must match with your offerings.
- Customize your catalog as per your customer requirements. Catalog might be required to be altered from time to time in order to stay updated.
- Ensure that your product catalog has a suitable format and size which allows you to showcase your entire product list along with product attributes and relevant photos and videos.
- Ensure that the photos and videos used in the product catalog are of high quality. This gives a polished look to the catalog and makes it more appealing.
- Once your product catalog is ready, take feedback from your customers and modify the catalog if necessary. This enhances trust between customers and the business.
Product catalog making process initially requires all your time, commitment and patience. However, once done right, it can offer you an increased customer footfall and a long-term upliftment in the business sales.